Re: another "EXPLAIN -- NO INDEX?" question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From will trillich
Subject Re: another "EXPLAIN -- NO INDEX?" question
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 10:36:37AM -0800, Stephan Szabo wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Feb 2002, will trillich wrote:
> > i'm stuck with 7.1 for now, and i do the vacuum analyze
> > nightly... any other ideas?
>
> Is there one value that's more common?  It's estimating about 6 times
> as many rows as actually match the condition (and 3 times the =1 or =3
> real for even just one of them iirc from the first message).

yep -- of the more numerous hits, one overshadows them all:

 count  |           name
--------+---------------------------
    635 | SECSed.com
   4790 | adminComputing.com
  35013 | dontUthink.com
  35610 | easydxftype.serensoft.com
  15010 | flint.dontUthink.com
   1826 | pix.dontUthink.com
   3668 | www.midwestRepo.com
 163629 | www.serensoft.com

still -- if we're looking for a LOW-FREQUENCY item, wouldn't the
index seem a reasonable tool to use? i can see that searching
for 'www.serensoft.com' wouldn't have much (any?) gain from the
index... but 'dontUthink.com' should, no?

--
Legalize Liberty.

will@serensoft.com