TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Davis
Subject TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster
Date
List pgsql-general
TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

My impression of 7.2 (and probably earlier releases as well) is that you're
data is secure as long as your disks can read/write properly, because of all
the WAL work. I would like to think that my databases would be in good shape
even in the event of a power failure or a 'kill -9'. Is this the case? Under
what known circumstances might data be corrupted? I am mostly concerned with
7.2, since I plan to upgrade all of my servers anyway, but info about 7.1.x
would be helpful.

Regards,
    Jeff

PS: for those wondering, my question was prompted by a comment under the
postgresql 7.2 announcement on slashdot, although I had been curious for some
time.