Re: Dream Server? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Dream Server?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 06:00:33PM -0700, Steve Wolfe wrote:

> need double the capacity?  I buy more machines, and plug them in.  If
> there were a way of replicating PG data from one master to many slaves in
> near-real-time, I could have a rack full of load-balanced database servers
> right next to it - cheap, easy, and effective.

If the idea here is to have only one master (where data goes in) but
many slaves (whence data comes when you read), then check out
eRserver.  PostgreSQL Inc's version is better than the one included
in contrib/.  We're using it to provide both redundancy and a
secondary source for reads, and it is performing without a problem.

----
Andrew Sullivan                               87 Mowat Avenue
<andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M6K 3E3
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110