Re: Problems with initdb on Cygwin - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Frank Joerdens
Subject Re: Problems with initdb on Cygwin
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 01:09:00PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Frank Joerdens <frank@joerdens.de> writes:
> > On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 04:49:42PM +0100, Joerg Hessdoerfer wrote:
> >> Just my 2ct - but could it be you did not start ipc-daemon?
>
> > You're absolutely right. That was the problem! (This is explained
> > *somewhere* . . . I seem to recall that I had the problem once, solved
> > it that way, and forgot about it.)
>
> Arrgh!  Clearly, this needs to be documented much more prominently than
> it is now.  Any suggestions about an appropriate place to mention it?

The problem was that I didn't compile Postgres from source (the last
time I installed Pg on Cygwin I probably did that, since I didn't fall
into this trap), seeing that the package that ships with Cygwin now is
up to date. I think the documentation in the INSTALL file that comes
with the Pg source is adequate. The fault should be considered to rest
with the Cygwin installer, because it follows the 'Windoze Paradigm' in
that it has an installation menu which suggests that it resolves
dependencies automatically. The maintainer of the Cygwin Installer
should either fix this (which is probably difficult because they'd not
only need to include cygipc with the package, but make sure that it gets
started somehow automagically) or remove Pg from the menu, I think.

Regards, Frank