Re: Auditing and Postgres 7.3 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Lamar Owen
Subject Re: Auditing and Postgres 7.3
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wednesday 23 January 2002 07:56 am, Murray Prior Hobbs wrote:
> the lack of a true full audit trail capabiity in postgres is perhaps
> it's biggest fundamental weakness as a "commercial" use system

> in fact. if i was to want to design a database system for "commercial"
> use the very first thing i would start with would be the audit system

Understand that Postgres was *never* designed to be a 'commercial' use system
from the ground up. It was originally designed as a research platform.  We
are hammering at it becoming commercial-grade, though.

Gavin's idea sounds OK to me -- although you can get that information now
from the query logs if you set the logging up.  It's not per-table --- and I
like the per-table idea.  This audit trail would make a handy debugging log
as well.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio