Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Licence: GNU/GPL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Licence: GNU/GPL
Date
Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Licence: GNU/GPL  (Jan Wieck <janwieck@yahoo.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, 20 Jan 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> We currently have a BSD license, the archetypal open-source license.
> The GPL is similar to BSD, except that it has certain anti-closed source
> (proprietary) restrictions.  Many PostgreSQL developers question the
> need for such restrictions and we therefore will continue with the BSD
> license for the for-seeable future.

GPL is kinda 'anti-open source' too, IMHO ... it puts restrictions on what
you can do with the source code, so it isn't *really* "free to do with as
you wish" ...