Re: Confusing terminology - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Confusing terminology
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> >     After receiving a connection request, the postmaster spawns
> >     a backend process to handle that client session.
>
> This is OK, because it's true:  There's a new process and it's at the
> backend side of the wire.  (Actually, a session is something that exists
> between a client and a server.)  What I don't like is language like "how
> many backends are active on this database?" -- It's one: PostgreSQL.  It
> would be correct to say "how many (PostgreSQL) backend *processes* are
> active...", or maybe just "how many clients are connected to this
> database".

Or how many sessions.  That seems to be the best wording unless you want
to highlight the existance of backend processes.

I am not sure I agree that there is only one backend running, well maybe
I see your point but it seems a little confusing.  We used the term
'backend' with Ingres and it always meant your backend process.

> > Maybe it's time for someone to prepare an "official" glossary that sets
> > out all these terms carefully, so that people will have something to
> > refer to when they're trying to pick a word to use.
>
> Yeah, I think I'd like to set something like this up as part of the
> program message style guide that I've talked about recently.

There is a crude attempt in the FAQ.  Maybe we can add there.

Pennsylvania19026