Re: how to limit postgresql process and memory time - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brent Verner
Subject Re: how to limit postgresql process and memory time
Date
List pgsql-general
[2002-01-17 11:36] Tom Lane said:
| Brent Verner <brent@rcfile.org> writes:
| > Would it be useful to have settings for nice(2)
|
| No; see prior discussions.

I can probably guess...

| > and setrlimit(2) calls?
|
| Not sure about that one.  An admin can set ulimit settings before
| starting the postmaster, and I'm not sure I see any point in changing
| them on-the-fly.

except that admin (root) could set max limits for the postmaster,
then the db admin could set (potentially per database/account) limits
for each backend.  This might allow some measure of control in a
multi-user (think hosting) environment.  just a random thought;
maybe not worth the bytes on the wire...

to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."  -- Duane Allman