Re: [HACKERS] articles [was: mysql-pgsql comparison] - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] articles [was: mysql-pgsql comparison]
Date
List pgsql-general
> MySQL has mindspace for one reason alone - it's perceived as
> faster.
>
> PostgreSQL shouldn't try to compete in the same mindspace, it
> should point out the many things that PostgreSQL supports but
> MySQL doesn't... while quietly pointing out the folly in selecting
> a system on the basis of single-user responsiveness.  MySQL handles
> a single query faster, but PostgreSQL handles far more concurrent
> queries and does not catastrophically fail under heavy loads.

This is the crux of the issue -- I most people who are objective would
choose PostgreSQL;  it is the "just go with what most people are using"
crowd that we have trouble attracting, and that is the largest group of
the population.

Great Bridge helped with that mind share, and Red Hat is in that space
now.  We are clearly on the upswing, it is just taking time to get where
we want to be.  Certainly any articles/comments people can make would be
a help in that direction.  [ Not sure why this disucssion is taking
place on hackers and not in general, where most of our users live, CC'ing.]