Re: pg_dump: Sorted output, referential integrity - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: pg_dump: Sorted output, referential integrity
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Jan Wieck writes:
>
> >     We don't want to define  the  constraints  with  ALTER  TABLE
> >     because this means checking data on restore that doesn't need
> >     to be checked at all (in theory).  If he has  a  crash  of  a
> >     critical system and restores from a dump, I bet the farm that
> >     he wants it FAST.
>
> Um, if he has a *crash* of a *critical* system, doesn't he want his data
> checked before he puts it back online?
   The  data  came  (in  theory!!!)  from  an intact, consistent   database.  So the dump content is (theoretically)
knownto be   consistent, thus no check required.

   The  difference  between  theory and practice? There is none,   theoretically :-)

Jan