papers on datatype design - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brook Milligan
Subject papers on datatype design
Date
List pgsql-general
Does anyone know of papers discussing issues that arise in the design
of specific datatypes intended to represent particular real-world
information?  I am thinking of situations more complex than simply
choosing among existing standard datatypes.  In some instances,
existing datatypes do not adequately represent the type of information
required; therefore, additional design must be undertaken.

To date, I have found essentially nothing on this issue.  Any pointers
would be extremely helpful.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Brook