Re: question about postgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-cygwin

From Jason Tishler
Subject Re: question about postgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-cygwin
Josh,

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 08:31:56PM -0800, Josh wrote:
> Jason, I read a message of yours on the postgresql list, dated August 5th of
> this year. The subject was about running postgres on windows 2000.
> http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/msg.html?mid=1032143

The above message is not from me.

> If you don't mind, I'd like to ask you a question since you seem to be more
> knowledgeable than many others regarding this subject:  Is postgres a great
> dbase for Windows 2000?

All I can say is that on a previous project, PostgreSQL met our needs
very well on Windows, Solaris, and Linux.  YMMV.

> I need to choose a free dbase for a project that
> we're doing, and windows will be the first platform, then linux. Our project
> really needs an "embedded" SQL dbase that's stable and requires little
> maintenance. So far, postgres  appears to be a pain to compile and maintain
> on windows, and another email has me spooked into thinking that postgres is
> really for unix.
> http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/msg.html?mid=1052159
>
> any feedback or information would be greatly appreciated.

This type of query is more appropriate to post to a mailing list instead
of sending private email.  Please do so in the future.  Besides helping
others, you may find that you get better (and faster) answers too.

Thanks,
Jason