Re: Call for objections: deprecate postmaster -o switch? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Call for objections: deprecate postmaster -o switch?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > I just checked and OpenBSD doesn't have the fix either.  Questions:
>
> > 1) should we patch our getopt.c with that single-line fix?
>
> Fixing our getopt seems like a no-brainer: yes.

Done.

> > 2) should we force our own getopt on FreeBSD and OpenBSD for 7.2?
>
> This is more debatable.  If it were earlier in the beta cycle I'd say
> yes, but at this point I don't think we should take any risks for what
> is after all a cosmetic issue.  Put it on TODO for 7.3, instead.

Added to TODO:
   * Use our own getopt() for FreeBSD/OpenBSD to allow --xxx flags (Bruce)

> > 3) how should we update the docs for this?
>
> "--name=val may not work on some platforms, if not use -c name=val".

OK, I will add that it doesn't work on FreeBSD and OpenBSD,
specifically.  This way, if it doesn't work on other platforms,
hopefully we will hear about it.

Pennsylvania19026