Re: Added Encoding - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tatsuo Ishii
Subject Re: Added Encoding
Date
Re: Added Encoding  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-patches
> > It was made to cope with encoding such as an Asian bloc in 7.2Beta2.
> >
> > Added ServerEncoding
> >     Korean (JOHAB), Thai (WIN874),
> >     Vietnamese (TCVN), Arabic (WIN1256)
> >
> > Added ClientEncoding
> >     Simplified Chinese (GBK), Korean (UHC)
> >

> > http://www.sankyo-unyu.co.jp/Pool/postgresql-7.2b2.newencoding.diff.tar.gz
> > (608K)
>
> Looks good.  I need some people to review this for me.

For me they look good too. The only missing part is a
documentation. I will ask him to write it up. If he couldn't, I will
do it for him.

> The diff is 3mb
> but appears to address only additions to multibyte.  I have attached a
> list of files it modifies.  Also, look at the sizes of the mb/
> directory.  It is getting large:
>
>     4       ./CVS
>     6       ./Unicode/CVS
>     3433    ./Unicode
>     6197    .

Yes. We definitely need the on-the-fly encoding addition capability:
i.e. CREATE CHRACTER SET in the future...
--
Tatsuo Ishii