Re: A newbie's opinion - postgres NEEDS a Windows binary! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brent R. Matzelle
Subject Re: A newbie's opinion - postgres NEEDS a Windows binary!
Date
List pgsql-general
--- "Robert J. Sanford, Jr." <rsanford@nolimitsystems.com> wrote:
> as one of our fellow list members pointed out to me in a personal
> email,  you choose the tool that best fits your needs. if you
> _need_ to be
> working in win32 with high-traffic then postgres is probably not
> for you.

That is true if you have the client and database running on a single
win32 machine.  However you can connect to PostgreSQL with TCP/IP so
you can always run the database on *NIX and run the web server or
other client software on win32 through libpq.dll, Python, Java, PHP,
PERL or ODBC.  With all those choices it makes it an easier sell to
an employer who would like to avoid the $5-20,000 per processor
license fees in a database like MSSQL.

Brent