Bug #488: Apache daemon dying on segfault from postgres - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org
Subject Bug #488: Apache daemon dying on segfault from postgres
Date
SPI_modifytuple - why i cant use it in trigers fired after  (Marek Bartnikowski <marek@virt.pl>)
List pgsql-bugs
Darrell Parlee (darrell@parlee.net) reports a bug with a severity of 2

Short Description
Apache daemon dying on segfault from postgres

Long Description
I have stable code that runs without change from one iteration to the next. Get sporadic failures which indicate either
awild pointer problem or use of an uninitialized variable. Problem can't be consistently reproduced with a specific
testcase (well, at least I have not found it yet). But I did capture the following detail:

---------------------------------------
pgsql.c(167) : Block 0x0853D400 status:
Beginning:      Overrun (magic=0x5A5A5A5A, expected=0x7312F8DC)
[Fri Oct 19 16:19:45 2001] [notice] child pid 8062 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
[Fri Oct 19 16:20:03 2001]  Script:  '/home/httpd/ContractServer/pace/createtables.shtml'
pgsql.c(167) : Block 0x085363E0 status:
Beginning:      Overrun (magic=0x00000000, expected=0x7312F8DC)
      End:      Unknown

File system content allows for growth, and no hardware errors are recorded by the logging daemons. This problem first
began(as best I can recall) after adopting the 7.0 release. It has been present in every upgrade since then (.1/.2/.3).

Sample Code

No file was uploaded with this report