Re: OID wraparound: summary and proposal - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tatsuo Ishii
Subject Re: OID wraparound: summary and proposal
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Well, it'd keep user-space wraparound from affecting the system tables,
> but given that the system tables have adequate defenses already (ie,
> unique indexes) I'm not sure that there's any point.  It'd not improve
> the picture for user-table OID uniqueness by any measurable degree.

But from the point of users' view, it does not prevent "create XXX
comand fails due to Oid wraparounding" problems, no?

Also I am worried about the performance of the per table Oid
generators. Even the system tables going to have that kind of
generators? What would happend if there are 5k tables in a database?
It's not very rare situation in a large installation.
--
Tatsuo Ishii