Re: contrib/postgis spatial extensions - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: contrib/postgis spatial extensions
Date
List pgsql-patches
> I'm for adding this to contrib, but is there any chance of getting it
> released under our BSD-style license, not GPL?  If it's GPL then it
> will never be a candidate to move out of contrib and into the main tree,
> which seems like something we'd like to do with it eventually.  The GPL
> license forbids us from merging GPL'd code into BSD-licensed code,
> so the best we can do with GPL'd code is keep it at arm's length in
> the contrib area.

One thing that made me hesistate is this.  These numbers are in 1k:

    93      ./doc/html
    147     ./doc
    58      ./examples/wkb_reader
    59      ./examples
    21      ./jdbc/org/postgis
    22      ./jdbc/org
    5       ./jdbc/examples
    30      ./jdbc
    136     ./loader
    164     ./regress
    760     .

The package is 760k.  I know GIS is a major feature, but that size had
me concerned.