Re: RPM source files should be in CVS (was Re: psql -l) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: RPM source files should be in CVS (was Re: psql -l)
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 12:11:47AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> writes:
> > On Wednesday 18 July 2001 10:42 pm, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> ISTM that it'd be a good thing if current versions of all the add-on
> >> source files for both Debian and RedHat RPMs were part of our CVS tree
>
> > Deja vu... didn't we have this discussion a month or two back?? :-) (
> > http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/msg.html?mid=115437#thread )
>
> Yeah, we did.  You seemed willing, but there was a notable silence
> from the Debian quarter.

There have been discussions in the past on the debian mailing lists about
whether it is a good idea for upstream sources to include the debian patch.
The gist of it that since debian builds packages based on a pristine source
tar ball and a patch, if the patch were upstream, would the patch have to
patch its own upstream version?

If however they were merely stored in contrib/distributions/patches or some
such and there was an understanding that that may not match what is
currently available from debian, then I see no problem.

--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/