Re: Configuration of statistical views - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Configuration of statistical views
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> >> If  somebody  wants  to  see  an applications querystring (at
> >> least the first 512 bytes) just in case something goes  wrong
> >> and  the client hangs, he'd have to run querystring reporting
> >> all the time either way.
>
> > Agreed.  That should be on all the time.
>
> "On by default", sure.  "On all the time", I'm not sold on.
>
> But anyway, we seem to be converging on the conclusion that setting
> up a GUC variable will do fine, at least until there is definite
> evidence that it won't.
   Up  to now, only three fulltime PG-developers spoke up. Maybe   someone else likes to comment on it too and  hasn't
had the   time yet. Let's be a little patient.

> Probably there need to be at least 2 variables: (a) a PGC_POSTMASTER
> variable that controls whether the stats collector is even started,
> and (b) PGC_USERSET variable(s) that enable a particular backend to
> send particular kinds of data to the collector.  Note that, for example,
> backend start/stop events probably need to be reported whenever the
> postmaster variable is set, even if all the USERSET variables are off.
   I  don't consider backend start/stop messages to be critical,   although we get  some  complaints  already  about
connection  slowness  -  well, this is somewhere in the microseconds. And   it'd be a little messy because the start
messageis  sent  by   the backend while the stop message is sent by the postmaster.   So where exactly to put it?

Jan