Re: Re: Suggested improvement : Adjust SEQUENCES to accept an INCREMENT of functionname(parameters) instead of an integer - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Re: Suggested improvement : Adjust SEQUENCES to accept an INCREMENT of functionname(parameters) instead of an integer
Date
In response to Re: Suggested improvement : Adjust SEQUENCES to accept an INCREMENT of functionname(parameters) instead of an integer  ("Gregory Wood" <gregw@com-stock.com>)
List pgsql-general
Gregory Wood wrote:
> I'm usually Mr. Features, but I don't see a whole lot of value in this one.
> I've tried to come up with a scenario that this might be useful and they're
> all contrived examples that could probably be best handled by creating my
> own system rather than forcing the functionality into the existing
> mechanism. Unless a special case were made for this type of SEQUENCE, I
> imagine that this would drastically slow them down as a whole.
>
> I'd much rather see int8 SEQUENCEs than a change in increment amounts.

    I  totally  agree  on that. IMHO a second column containing a
    random number as kinda key serves alot better anyway, if  you
    just want to make it unguessable.

Jan