Re: Red Hat to support PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Paul Tomblin
Subject Re: Red Hat to support PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
Quoting Tony Grant (tony@animaproductions.com):
> In 1997 I bought a 6 CD set from Info Magic. RedHat was on disk one. I
> installed it because it was on disk one... I had a machine running Suse

In 1996-97, I had just been through the horror of upgrading a lab full of
machines from SLS 1.03 to Slackware, and then from one Slackware version
to another.  Each "upgrade" was a re-install and reconfigure.  Along came
RedHat with the promise of doing real upgrades without losing all your
configuration.  Of course I jumped at the chance.  I've been using RedHat
ever since, even though they had a couple of major changes in rpm that
made it impossible to do a real upgrade.

In 2000, I had an PHP application written using MySQL, and I suddenly
decided I wanted to be able to have it work better with simultaneous
updates, and I'd read that Postgresql was no longer dog slow compared to
MySQL, so I switched to PostgresSQL.

--
Paul Tomblin <ptomblin@xcski.com>, not speaking for anybody
"What we perceive as `God' is simply a by-product of our search for God."