Re: Re: Re: Encrypting pg_shadow passwords - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Mercer
Subject Re: Re: Re: Encrypting pg_shadow passwords
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 11:05:52PM +0800, Lincoln Yeoh wrote:
> At 12:04 AM 6/16/01 -0400, Jim Mercer wrote:
> >On Sat, Jun 16, 2001 at 11:20:30AM +0800, Lincoln Yeoh wrote:
> >> If you need to use encryption then having _everything_ encrypted is a
> >> better idea - SSL etc. Those >1GHz CPUs are handy ;).
> >
> >[ yes, i noted the smiley ]
> >
> >it is rather unfortunate to see the OSS community buying into the tenents
> >that allowed microsoft to get world domination based on crap quality
> >software.
> >
> >"hardware is cheap" is a falsehood.
>
> My point is if you really need encryption, then your data should be
> encrypted too, otherwise it seems a waste of time or more a "feel good" thing.

i would agree with that.

i guess my rantwas moreso in reaction to what i was as creeping featurism,
with words aluding to "depreciating" legacy functionality.

maybe not your words, but that was what set me off on this thread.

--
[ Jim Mercer        jim@reptiles.org         +1 416 410-5633 ]
[ Now with more and longer words for your reading enjoyment. ]