Re: Greetings, Thinking about converting - Mailing list pgsql-general

From GH
Subject Re: Greetings, Thinking about converting
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, Jun 10, 2001 at 07:31:10PM -0600, some SMTP stream spewed forth:
> > I suggest you check out FreeBSD: www.freebsd.org.
> > If you have no experience with either FreeBSD or some Linux variant, I
> > would say switch to FreeBSD, otherwise use whatever you are comfortable
> > with other than Windows. PostgreSQL will run under Windows, but you
> > should get better overall performance using Linux and much better
> > performance using FreeBSD. Of course, if you need crappy hardware
> > support, Linux is a hardware slut; but if you are working on a server
> > farm or a serious, heavily loaded server, you would be better using
> > high-end hardware in a FreeBSD box if not using Sun equipment and
> > software which is probably not in your budget.
>
> By now im using a ProliantLM350 with a SmartArray 431 and 4 SCSI non-hotswap
> ultra3 disks, 20gb each one, 1gb memory , 2 933mhz procesors,
> I have had experience with Linux.

You should be fine on Linux. I normally would strongly *not* say to use
Linux over FreeBSD, but as I said, -current (like a beta, only better)
has been in sad state lately, and I do not know what later releases are
going to look like. It should still be better than Linux, but you
shouldn't have to learn something new if everything sucks anyway.

(Of course, the fine hackers behind PostgreSQL ensure that it runs well on
just about anything, so performance should not be an issue.)

gh