Re: Postgresql 7.1.2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael A. Peters
Subject Re: Postgresql 7.1.2
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, 9 Jun 2001 12:01:40 +0200 (CEST)
Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:

> mpeters@mac.com writes:
>
> > Howdy- saw your e-mail in the postgresql install file, hope you don't
> > mind me writing.
>
> You must have missed
>
>      Note: If you are having problems with the installation on a
>      supported platform, please write to <pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org> or
>      <pgsql-ports@postgresql.org>, not to the people listed here.
>
> ;-)

Yes- I did miss that. I didn't assume he would answer, though- I always try
to cc a user list when I e-mail a developer, but I've actually had good luck
with responses from developers. Usually they are either quite friendly, or
they choose not to respond.

Perhaps the e-mail addresses should be kept private that are in that file if
they don't want them contacted- but that's a different issue and doesn't warrant
discussion except among those people and postgresql.

> > Postgresql compiles and runs fine- but the database directories are
> > named by numbers, not by names-
>
> This is new in 7.1.
>
> > which ain't how it is on my linux boxes
> > (nor how its described in the pgsql doc)
>
> If you can still find that reference in the 7.1 docs, please point it out
> so it can be fixed.

I was referring to the postgresql book, and the fact that this change (which
seems major to me) isn't referenced in the Changelog (which doesn't seem to
have anything from 7.0 to 7.1), install file, or whatever.

----------------------------
[root@osx ChangeLogs]# grep -i "template1" *
ChangeLog-7.1beta4-to-7.1beta5: that any installation-local cruft in template1 will not mess up the
[root@osx ChangeLogs]#

[root@osx postgresql-7.1.2]# grep -i "template" README
[root@osx postgresql-7.1.2]#

[root@osx postgresql-7.1.2]# grep -i "template" INSTALL
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql -d template1 -f outputfile
[root@osx postgresql-7.1.2]#

[root@osx postgresql-7.1.2]# grep -i "template" * 2> /dev/null |grep -v "^config"
HISTORY:Modify pg_dump to better handle user-defined items in template1 (Philip)
HISTORY:Allow CREATE DATABASE to specify template database (Tom)
HISTORY:New template0 database that contains no user additions (Tom)
HISTORY:New --template option to createdb
HISTORY:Configure matches template/.similar entries better(Tom)
HISTORY:This will need to be done to every existing database, including template1.
HISTORY:new OS-specific template files(Marc)
INSTALL:/usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql -d template1 -f outputfile
Binary file doc matches
Binary file src matches
[root@osx postgresql-7.1.2]#
------------------------------

On linux I run postgresql 7.0.3- which isn't that old.
Won't update till I need to- perhaps this change needs to be mentioned in
the ChangeLog or Install file (or the FAQ) since it has a big impact on
startup scripts that look for template1 in the ~/data/base/ directory to
determine wether or not postgresql has been properly initiated.

Some people's boot start script will re-initiate if [ ! -d ~/data/base/template1 ]

not everyone updates via rpm...

--
Michael A. Peters