Re: 7.2 items - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Karel Zak
Subject Re: 7.2 items
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 11:21:44PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Tom Lane writes:
>
> > Peter E. had implied that he wanted to tackle the elog issues for 7.2,
> > but I'm not sure if he's committed to it or not.
>
> Well...
>
> * Automatically add filename, line, function name:  Easy to code, lots of
>   labour.  Should be lumped in with some other large change.
>
> * Error codes:  I think there are only a handful of key messages that
>   users (programs) need to detect cleanly, mostly constraint violations.
>   The rest are "the query you sent is wrong -- fix your application" and
>   "something went really wrong -- manual repair needed"
>
>   So maybe this could be a smallish change.
>
> * Translation:  If we want to use gettext I can get started.  I don't
>   think I'm interested in using any other interface.
What dissect this work to two parts? First implement error codes and later
translation. IMHO transaction hasn't big importance (and will encapsulate
in elog() stuff) and is possible speculate about it later. Do you plannig
gettext stuff as a ./configure option?
        Karel

-- Karel Zak  <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz>http://home.zf.jcu.cz/~zakkr/C, PostgreSQL, PHP, WWW, http://docs.linux.cz,
http://mape.jcu.cz