Re: Unixtime function?... - Mailing list pgsql-php

From Roberto Mello
Subject Re: Unixtime function?...
Date
List pgsql-php
On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 08:49:32AM -0700, Richard Whittaker wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> In MySQL there is a function to convert an arbitrary date/time combination
> to a Unix timestamp, which makes it really easy to perform calculations in
> PHP, since the result was always an integer... Is there a similar function
> out there for PostgresSQL or PHP?...

    Some RTFM'ing comes in handy :)

    I put "time" in php.net and it returned me the time function manual.

    PostgreSQL has lots of functions to work with dates and times,
including to_char and to_date, with tons of functionality. In PG (and Oracle)
dates _are_ integers, even though it's not displayed to you as such:

hgcm-test=# select now();
          now
------------------------
 2001-05-02 14:08:40-06

hgcm-test=# select now() + 3;
  ?column?
------------
 2001-05-05

hgcm-test=# select now() - 3;
  ?column?
------------
 2001-04-29

    Or you could use intervals:

hgcm-test=# select now() + '1 week'::interval;
        ?column?
 2001-05-09 14:10:18-06

    There's more information in the PostgreSQL documentation.

    -Roberto

--
+----| http://fslc.usu.edu USU Free Software & GNU/Linux Club |------+
  Roberto Mello - Computer Science, USU - http://www.brasileiro.net