Re: SAPDB Open Souce - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: SAPDB Open Souce
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I have attached the original message and my reply.  The person was
asking how we could used SAP "to see what postgres can learn".  My reply
was to say that I couldn't figure how how to learn anything from the
code.  That was my only statement.

I did not trash SAP DB.  Seems using their development tools may make
the code much easier to understand.  Hopefully someone will try.

> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I've used the open source SAPDB and the performance is pretty damned
> > impressive. However, 'open source' in application to it is somewhat
> > deceptive, since you have to make it with SAP's proprietary build
> > tools/environment.
> >
> > In my opinion, however, it would be worth closely auditing SAP DB to see
> > what postgres can learn.
>
> I downloaded it.  The directories are two characters in length, the
> files are numbers, and it is a mixture of C++, Python, and Pascal.  Need
> I say more.  :-)

Pennsylvania19026