Re: CRN article not updated - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From ncm@zembu.com (Nathan Myers)
Subject Re: CRN article not updated
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 02:22:48PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I just checked the CRN PostgreSQL article at:
>
>    http://www.crn.com/Sections/Fast_Forward/fast_forward.asp?ArticleID=25670
>
> I see no changes to the article, even though Vince our webmaster, Geoff
> Davidson of PostgreSQL, Inc, and Dave Mele of Great Bridge have
> requested it be fixed.

If _you_ had been deluged with that kind of vitriol, what kind of favors
would you feel like doing?

> Not sure what we can do now.

It's too late.  "We" screwed it up.  (Thanks again, guys.)
The responses have done far more lasting damage than any article
could ever have done.  The horse is dead.

The best we can do is to plan for the future.

1. What happens the next time a slightly inaccurate article is published?
2. What happens when an openly hostile article is published?

Will our posse ride off again with guns blazing, making more enemies?
Will they make us all look to potential users like a bunch of hotheaded,
childish nobodies?

Or will we have somebody appointed, already, to write a measured,
rational, mature clarification?  Will we have articles already written,
and handed to more responsible reporters, so that an isolated badly-done
article can do little damage?

We're not even on Oracle's radar yet.  When PG begins to threaten their
income, their marketing department will go on the offensive.  Oracle
marketing is very, very skillful, and very, very nasty.  If they find
that by seeding the press with reasonable-sounding criticisms of PG,
they can prod the PG community into making itself look like idiots,
they will go to town on it.

Nathan Myers
ncm@zembu.com