Re: erServer beta - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robert L Mathews
Subject Re: erServer beta
Date
List pgsql-general
At 4/15/01 3:20 PM, The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> wrote:

>everything that is currently available is actually in contrib right now
>... Thomas is currently working on tools for it, but nothing ready for
>even beta testing yet ..

Hmmm? At http://www.erserver.com/, there's a page that starts off:

"eRServer was released for Beta on December 24, 2000."

And then it has links to download eRServer tools from the pgsql.com site.

Is this different from what's in the contrib directory? I've never quite
been able to get straight in my head whether eRServer is an Open Source
project, or whether it's initially closed source and planned to be
released as Open Source later, or what; there was lots of confusing talk
about it a while back (confused me, anyway).

Can someone in the know give us a definite explanation of what kind of
project eRServer is, how it's going to be developed, what its current
state is, etc.? I really could use replication, but it doesn't seem clear
whether the eRServer stuff is going be further developed in a way that I
could use (what's there is somewhat unpolished so far, although the
initial effort is appreciated).

--
Robert L Mathews, Tiger Technologies