Re: Fast Inserts and Hardware Questions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christopher Masto
Subject Re: Fast Inserts and Hardware Questions
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 11:08:48AM -0800, Orion Henry wrote:
> * Since most of what I am doing is inserts I will assume that the disk
> will be my bottleneck over anything else.  Is this correct?

Recent personal experience has sold me on hardware RAID controllers
and lots of RAM.  Dell's relatively low-end PERC/2 (which is an AMD
MegaRAID) on FreeBSD improved our create-and-populate scripts by at
least an order of magnitude.
--
Christopher Masto         Senior Network Monkey      NetMonger Communications
chris@netmonger.net        info@netmonger.net        http://www.netmonger.net

Free yourself, free your machine, free the daemon -- http://www.freebsd.org/