Re: Re: With which user Apache accesses PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From will trillich
Subject Re: Re: With which user Apache accesses PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 10:19:11AM -0800, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 08:14:08AM +0100, Frank Joerdens wrote:
> > >
> > > My question should be: with which user Apache accesses PostgreSQL? From the
> > > message issued by PostgreSQL it is user 'apache'.
> >
> > On most systems it seems to be either wwwrun or nobody by default.
> >
> On some recent Linux distributions, it is now 'apache' instead of 'nobody'.

on debian (potato, anyhow) it's "www-data" which is a bit of a
bear to type. (i'd love "www" or "apache" but nooooo...)

of course, in theory, you can munge your config files and have
apache masquerade as 'mongo' or 'lulu' or 'zipelna' if you want.

but keep in mind -- this being a security feature of postgresql
-- that linux user/login "gonzo" doesn't automatically get a
postgresql username "gonzo". so to connect to postgresql you need
to match up pg username with pg password. and in the config files
for postgres, there are options to specify whether, say,
linux/login username 'bubba' is allowed to connect to psql as
'doofus' ... or not.

i think.

--
It is always hazardous to ask "Why?" in science, but it is often
interesting to do so just the same.

will@serensoft.com