Re: Encoding names - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tatsuo Ishii
Subject Re: Encoding names
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>  I a little work with encodings (Japanese, Latin(s)) and I see that
> PG use non-standard encoding names.
>
>  Why is here SJIS instead Shift-JIS, EUC_JP intead EUC-JP,
> Latin2 instead ISO-8859-2 ?
>
>  It is not good for example for applications that output data to HTML and
> needs set correct meta-tags, for this is needful maintain in application
> PostgreSQL's specific names and standard names and translate between these
>
>  Comments?

But HTML meta tags used to use their own encoding names such as
x-euc-jp, x-sjis....

Well, the reaons are:

1) shell does not like "-" (configure and some Unix commands in  PostgreSQL accepts encoding names)
2) I don't like longer names

BTW, I and Thomas (and maybe others) are interested in implementing
CREATE CHRACATER SET staffs in SQL92/99. The encoding names might be
changed at that time...
--
Tatsuo Ishii