Re: Re: beta5 ... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Re: beta5 ...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > The easy fix is to just set the delay to zero.  Looks like that will fix
> > most of the problem.
>
> Except that Vadim had a reason for setting it to 5, and I'm loath to see
> that changed unless someone actaully understands the ramifications other
> then increasing performance ...

See post from a few minutes ago with analysis of purpose and actual
affect of Vadim's parameter.  I objected to the delay when it was
introduced because of my analysis, but Vadim's argument is that 5
microseconds is very small delay, just enough to yield the CPU.  We now
see that is much longer than that.

> > The near-committers thing may indeed be overkill, and certainly is not
> > worth holding beta.
>
> What is this 'near-committers thing'??

Other backends about to commit.

Pennsylvania19026