Re: [INTERFACES] pgAccess fails to launch on HPUX - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ross J. Reedstrom
Subject Re: [INTERFACES] pgAccess fails to launch on HPUX
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 01:34:58PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> I thought I'd tried pgAccess back in the dim past with success, but as
> of current sources it fails on HPUX 10.20 and Tcl 8.3.2:

<SNIP problem with dynamic load and Tcl>

> And the reason for *that* is that Tcl doesn't pass the DYNAMIC_PATH flag
> to shl_load().  I find that sourceforge.net already has a couple of bug
> reports posted on this, so perhaps the Tcl guys will get their act
> together and add the flag in Tcl 8.4, but in the meantime I think we
> have very little choice except to specify the full path to the library
> in pgaccess' load command.

Yep, the Tcl team changed dynamic loading in 8.2->8.3 This bit me on NT,
first.

> Does anyone object if I modify pgaccess so that it always specifies the
> full path to the library?  That seems like it'd be a good idea even on
> OSes without this quirk, because it'd ensure getting the matching
> version of libpgtcl and libpq even if your SHLIB_PATH/LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> points to some other version.

Sounds like a good idea, to me. Getting the wrong library loaded leads to
non-obvious error messages, as well.

Ross