Re: If test in sql?? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: If test in sql??
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 10:01:21AM +0200,
  Esa Pikkarainen <epikkara@ktk.oulu.fi> wrote:
> Thank you very much. Fine! Just two little questiton s more:
>
> 1) Can COALESCE take more than two alternatives?
>
> 2) Does it treat a zero length string as NULL or NOT NULL?

Wouldn't it have been faster to fire up psql and try a select to see what
the answer is than send a message to this list?

COALESCE definitely works with more than 2 values, as I use it that way.
'' should not be the same as a null, but I haven't actually tested this
to make sure it works that way.