Performance of a single (big) select and Multiprocessor Machines - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Konstantinos Agouros
Subject Performance of a single (big) select and Multiprocessor Machines
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I am currently setting up a logfile-analysis using postgres. The logfiles
are big (some 1 of 2 mio entries a day) which I reduce somewhat. Here comes
my question. Is there a way in postgres to make use of the extra cpu(s) the
machine has for the single tasks of importing the data and doing the
somewhat intensive selects that result from the sheer amount of data.
Today I talked to the Oracle guys at the company they told me one can make
Oracle do that. But who wants to use (and set up) Oracle.

Konstantin

P.S.: Are there other opimization tips besides setting up indizes and
learn to do better sql?
--
Dipl-Inf. Konstantin Agouros aka Elwood Blues. Internet: elwood@agouros.de
Otkerstr. 28, 81547 Muenchen, Germany. Tel +49 89 69370185