Re: RE: Why is there so much MySQL bashing??? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tony Grant
Subject Re: RE: Why is there so much MySQL bashing???
Date
List pgsql-general
On 2001.01.18 17:31:29 +0100 Lamar Owen wrote:

> > Neither can not being able to do rpm -Uvh and have it work first
> time...
>
> Hmmmm... When was the last time you tried?

Yesterday...

The RedHat 6.2 rpms are broken if they find the tiniest trace of a
preceding instalation. The machine target for 7.0.3 had a copy of 6.5.x
installed when the ReHat server was installed. The database system was
initiallised but never used.

I removed all traces of the 6.5.x install and did a 7.0.3 install.

initdb fails of course because there must be something somewhere that makes
it choke. I have installed previous versions from source and spent hours
getting permissions right so that initdb would run. Now I just want to set
up a new machine and rpm is a convenient way of doing that. When it doesn't
work as advertized it is a little "annoying".

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Tony Grant

--
It's just some computers connected together...