Re: Re: starting PGSQL automatically on Redhat 6.2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tatsuo Ishii
Subject Re: Re: starting PGSQL automatically on Redhat 6.2
Date
List pgsql-general
From: T F <torford@hotmail.nospam.com>
Subject: [GENERAL] Re: starting PGSQL automatically on Redhat 6.2
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 12:12:52 -0700

> Ryan Mahoney wrote:
>
> > Hey all, I copied the pg_ctl script and placed it in my /etc/rc.d/init.d/
> > directory and renamed it 'postgres'.  I then made all the necessary symbolic
> > links.  When my machine boots up however, pgsql does not start up because it
> > cannot be started by root.  I have created the 'postgres' user and data
> > directories.  I can start PG manually just fine.  Can someone post or mail a
> > working startup script/recommend any changes to pg_ctl?  Thanks!
> >
> > Ryan Mahoney
> > ryan@paymentalliance.net
>
> You might try this, it was taken from the postgresql-6.5.3-6 rpm:

That script seems dangerous. It calls

    killproc postmaster

to terminate postmaster. In this case killproc firstly sends SIGTERM
to postmaster (this is ok). But if postmaster won't die with the
signal, then killproc sends SIGKILL to postmaster (this is not
good). SIGINT or SIGQUIT should be sent in this case.

BTW, pg_ctl only works with version 7.0 or higher.
--
Tatsuo Ishii