Re: Idea for reducing planning time - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alfred Perlstein
Subject Re: Idea for reducing planning time
Date
Re: Idea for reducing planning time  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
* Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> [001213 15:18] wrote:

> I'm trying to resist the temptation to make this change right now :-).
> It's not quite a bug fix --- well, maybe you could call it a performance
> bug fix --- so I'm kind of thinking it shouldn't be done during beta.
> OTOH I seem to have lost the argument that Vadim shouldn't commit VACUUM
> performance improvements during beta, so maybe this should go in too.
> What do you think?

If you're saying that you're OK with the work Vadim has done please
let him know, I'm assuming he hasn't committed out of respect for your
still standing objection.

If you're terribly against it then say so again, I just would rather
it not happen because you objected rather than missed communication.

As far as the work you're proposing, how much of a gain is it over
the current code?  2x? 3x? 20x? :)  There's a difference between a
slight performance increase and something too good to pass up.

thanks,