Re: beta testing version - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Nathan Myers
Subject Re: beta testing version
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 09:59:34AM +0800, xuyifeng wrote:
> NO, I just tested how solid PgSQL is, I run a program busy inserting
> record into PG table, when I suddenly pulled out power from my machine ...

Nobody claims PostgreSQL is proof against power failures.

> ... We use WindowsNT and MSSQL on our production server,
> before we accept MSSQL, we use this method to test if MSSQL can endure
> this kind of strike, it's OK, all databases are safely recovered, we
> can continue our work.

You got lucky.  Period.  MSSQL is not proof against power failures,
and neither is NTFS.  In particular, that the database accepted
transactions afterward is far from proof that its files were not
corrupted.

Incompetent testers produce invalid tests.  Invalid tests lead to
meaningless conclusions.  Incompetent testers' employers suffer
from false confidence, and poor decision-making.

Nathan Myers
ncm@zembu.com