Re: Unhappy thoughts about pg_dump and objects inherited from template1 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From selkovjr@mcs.anl.gov
Subject Re: Unhappy thoughts about pg_dump and objects inherited from template1
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Philip Warner wrote:

> I think both this and the OID-wrap problem will be permanent features until
> we have a non-oid-based dump procedure. Pretty much every piece of metadata
> needs some kind of 'I am a system object, don't dump me' flag.

Curiously enough, Philip, you seem to have been ahead of me by just a
few keystrokes, so I didn't read your observation until I sent mine.

> Relying of values of numeric OIDs is definitely clunky, but it's all we can
> do at the moment.

I held that one up, but now I am wondering: would checking a "don't
dump me" flag involve any more code or or would it be any more
difficult than the current (oid > n)? Seems like a straightforward
change to me, so what's the reason for this "all we can do" sentiment?

--Gene