Re: Postgres 7.0.2-2 on Red Hat 7.0? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: Postgres 7.0.2-2 on Red Hat 7.0?
Date
List pgsql-general
"Steve Wolfe" wrote:
  >> Better yet, install the PostgreSQL 7.0.2 packages that come with RedHat
  >> 7. They are derived from the 7.0.2-2 packages on the postgresql ftp
  >> site.
  >
  >  RedHat's installation of PostgreSQL is abominable.  It does not put it in
  >the default location, and it puts the binaries (psql, pg_dump, etc.) in
  >/bin, and the shared libraries in /lib or /usr/lib.
  >
  >  So, if you ever decide to upgrade, you have to go hunting in /bin and /lib
  >(or is it /usr/lib?) and delete all of the old files before the new
  >installation will work correctly.  If they had just installed it in the
  >default directory, and put /usr/local/pgsql/bin in the path and
  >/usr/local/pgsql/lib in ld.so.conf, it would be good.  They could even put
  >the base directory in /var to keep themselves happy.  But the way they did
  >it makes upgrades very difficult.

Red Hat is a distribution.  It should not put anything in /usr/local,
which should be reserved for the _local_ adminstrator's use.  If you
install a Red Hat rpm, you are installing a part of a distribution which
has to follow the distribution's rules.  (The same applies to Debian,
whose PostgreSQL packages I produce.)  If you use Red Hat tools to
uninstall the package, you should not need to hunt around for any files,
(provided that RH's uninstall works properly, which I assume it does.)

If you want to compile your own PostgreSQL from source, you probably
do not want to have the standard rpm installed at all.

     "Only take heed to thyself, and keep thy soul
      diligently, lest thou forget the things which thine
      eyes have seen, and lest they depart from thy heart
      all the days of thy life; but teach them to thy sons,
      and to thy sons' sons..."        Deuteronomy 4:9