Re: Re: [HACKERS] My new job - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jason Earl
Subject Re: Re: [HACKERS] My new job
Date
Re: Re: [HACKERS] My new job  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
--- Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:
> > It is merely a conflict of interest issue.  Same
> issue in law as having
> > attorney's from the same firm on the side of
> defendant and plaintiff.  If
> > the plaintiff is a multi-million dollar client and
> the defendant is
> > pro-bono... there is concern about bias.
> >
> > Congratulations is in order for Mr. Momjian.  I'm
> not saying he should or
> > shouldn't work for them.  I'm just playing devil's
> advocate.
>
> The interesting issue here is that law firms by
> nature are adviserial.
> My paper showed that most issues are actually ones
> of companies managing
> a shared resource, so the analogy is not quite
> accurate.

Great Bridge is interested in turning PostgreSQL into
a world class database system.  As users of PostgreSQL
we all benefit from their paying Bruce (and whoever
else) to work on it full time.  It's not like Great
Bridge wants to turn PostgreSQL into a pinball machine
emulator.

Extra care will need to be taken to make sure that
pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org is still the central
hacker clearing-house, but that shouldn't be too
difficult.

And if worse comes to worse and Great Bridge does try
to take PostgreSQL in an unhealthy direction we can
easily vote with our feet.  After all, both Interbase
and <gasp> MySQL are available under very liberal
terms (as are previous and current versions of
PostgreSQL which could even be forked).  Great Bridge
knows that, and they will undoubtedly do all they can
to make sure that we users are happy.  After all, they
are essentially a service organization.

I just don't see what the conflict might be.  It's not
like Great Bridge is going to hold Bruce's family
hostage and force him to rewrite PostgreSQL in Cobol.
In fact, Great Bridge had better treat their employees
very well or they will find that their are greener
pastures somewhere else.  Not only would Great Bridge
lose a very knowledgeable employee, but Bruce could
take his source with him when he went to his new
employer.