Re: Users - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: Users
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Sep 25, 2000 at 03:45:59PM -0400, Adam Lang wrote:
> To be a user to interact with postgres, do you have to be a user on the
> system it is installed at?

No (although it's possible to set it up that way if you choose).
Database users are independent of system users.

> i.e. Jane works from home and uses a program that access the database
> remotely.  Does Jane need to be a user on the database server as well as a
> user in postgresql?

All Jane needs is a Postgres account (CREATE USER ...).

HTH,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway@home.com>
Get my GnuPG key from: http://klamath.dyndns.org/mykey.asc

I am not interested in the past. I am interested in the future for
that is where I intend to spend the rest of my life.
        -- Charles F. Ketterring

Attachment