Re: List of error messages - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: List of error messages
Date
List pgsql-general
Gisle Dankel wrote:

> Hi,
> I couldn't find any explanations of error messages in the docs.
>
> I get this error message:
> ERROR:  triggered data change violation on relation "22"
>
> after doing
>
> DELETE FROM "22" WHERE id = 36;
>
> There's no foreign keys referring to this table, nor any triggers that I
> have explicitly defined.
> This occurs inside a transaction. When I tried it outside the transaction
> it worked fine!
>
> Anyone got any idea of what is going on?
> Do you need more information?

    Maybe  this  table  is  the  referring  one  in a foreign key
    relationship?

    Triggers/foreign keys are the only things that can cause  the
    above  error  message. It is a requirement of the SQL99 specs
    that one and the  same  row,  that  is  part  of  referential
    integrity  constraints  or  triggers, cannot be touched twice
    during a transaction.

    So if you did (in the same transaction)

        UPDATE "22" SET "22 A)" = 2.2 WHERE id = 36;

    then the above DELETE might be forbidden as of the specs.

Jan