Re: Materialized views in PostgreSQL? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Materialized views in PostgreSQL?
Date
List pgsql-general
Daniel P. Katz wrote:

> Hi.
>
>         Does PostgreSQL 7.0 support materialized views?  Sorry if this
> is a FAQ, but I didn't find it in the FAQ list, the users guide, or
> the archives for this list.

    No.

    PostgreSQL  uses  a  query  rewriting  technique to implement
    views. That means, that before any data  is  retrieved  by  a
    query,  it  is rewritten as if the user did use the relations
    and qualifications of  the  view.   So  the  query  execution
    engine is never faced with views, it only hits real tables.

Jan