Pg.pm oddity with apostrophes - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Charles Curley
Subject Pg.pm oddity with apostrophes
Date
Re: Pg.pm oddity with apostrophes  (David Cantrell <david@cantrell.org.uk>)
Re: Pg.pm oddity with apostrophes  ("Anthony E . Greene" <agreene@pobox.com>)
List pgsql-novice
I am using pg.pm with perl to interface between a web server,
Apache, and postgres. Pg.pm is as follows:

#-------------------------------------------------------
#
# $Id: Pg.pm,v 1.8 1998/09/27 19:12:22 mergl Exp $
#
# Copyright (c) 1997, 1998  Edmund Mergl
#
#-------------------------------------------------------

[PostgreSQL 6.5.1 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc pgcc-2.91.66]

The oddity I have hit is that if I try to inset a name with an apostrophe
in it (e.g. O'Neil), pgsql belly-aches and returns an error of 7. The
record is not inserted. If I remove the apostrophe, the otherwise identical
record goes in just fine. I am escaping the apostrophe correctly, as far
as I know. The insert query is as follows:

Insert into contacts VALUES ( 'Mr.', 'Patrick', 'O\'Neil', blah, blah... 'http://URL' ); "

I can insert the name from psql with no problems, which makes me think it
is a Pg.pm problem.

--

        -- C^2

No windows were crashed in the making of this email.

Looking for fine software and/or web pages?
http://w3.trib.com/~ccurley
Attachment