Re: [HACKERS] when does CREATE VIEW not create a view? - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Ross J. Reedstrom
Subject Re: [HACKERS] when does CREATE VIEW not create a view?
Date
Re: [HACKERS] when does CREATE VIEW not create a view?
List pgsql-patches
See my other reply about what gets added: the problem is the rewrite
rule name, as you guessed.

Here's a patch that silently truncates the generated rule name. Unlike
tablename or generated sequence name truncation, there's no need in
normal operation for the DBA to know the name of this rule, so I didn't
put in a NOTICE about the truncation.

I found every accurance of _RET in the source that refered to a view rule,
and patched them to do the right thing.

Ross

On Tue, Aug 22, 2000 at 02:21:04PM -0600, Brook Milligan wrote:

> Does the backend add something to a view identifier to push it over 32
> characters?  Is that added as a prefix or a suffix?  If the latter,
> perhaps it should be a prefix?  Or is the problem with the select rule
> formed by CREATE VIEW?  If the latter, should there be different
> truncation rules for view names than for table names so that the
> associated rule and table names have the appropriate relationship?
>
> Cheers,
> Brook

NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer

Attachment