Re: Some questions on user defined types and functions. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From JanWieck@t-online.de (Jan Wieck)
Subject Re: Some questions on user defined types and functions.
Date
List pgsql-general
Jeffery Collins wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone could help me with the following questions.
> They are all related to user defined types and functions.
>
>     1. Environment variables in function pathname.  We would like to
> [...]

    Create  your  SQL scripts that define the functions in a make
    step, invoking sed(1) to substitute a  constant  string  with
    the  content  of an environment variable. This worked for the
    past 20 years and I'm sure it's extremely portable.

>     2. tid assignment - We make extensive use of user defined types.
> One, fairly painful, thing we have noticed is the following sequence
> really doesn't work very well:
>
> [...]
>
>         The reason for possibly wanting to do this is to fix a problem
> with the implementation of the type mytype.

    You don't need to DROP and reCREATE the functions and type if
    you  just  fixed  some  bug  in  the  C coding. Recompile it,
    replace the shared object and reconnect to the database.  The
    new  backend  (you  get  at  reconnect)  will load in the new
    shared module and use the new code.

>     3. fid assignment - Basically the same question as above but with
> functions instead of types.  If there is an index that uses a function,
> it appears that you can't drop and re-create the function without
> blowing away the index definition.

    Same as 2.

Jan